Tuesday, October 28, 2008

We built this city on salt....and not rock and roll...at all.

I got really excited when I spotted the Plebeians and Patricians. I welcome familiar territory. I was glad to see that all Romans could have their salt. That's very important, so I've learned. I don't think I'd eat pigs if I lived in this time period. It sounds very unappetizing, and I'll leave it at that.

Salt taxes seem to be a pretty popular thing throughout history. That kind of interested me, a little bit. I'm completely convinced that the Roman's were the coolest people ever. Mostly because they built awesome things, but especially because they recognized the importance of salt. They even paid soldiers in salt some times. Talk about awesome. Actually, I'd probably be a bit disappointed, but I'm sure those Roman soldiers loved it.

I'm making that salt and vinegar cabbage recipe for dinner tomorrow. It sounds delicious. I've finally come to accept that the Egyptians didn't invent ham, and the Celtics did. So, you can all stop making fun of me for it :) Anyway, another reason why these people are cool? Olives. This time I'm being completely serious and not one bit sarcastic. I love olives. I was completely overwhelmed with recipes in this chapter, but that's okay because I enjoy cooking.

One last thing that excited me like no other, garum. Oh my goodness, the Chinese really did make quite an impact with soy sauce! Everyone copied that and just had to have their own salty condiment! I feel like I could open my own ancient Roman cuisine restaurant now. I just might.

2 comments:

Megan said...

The Romans do make pork seem mighty unappetizing. I'm glad that I don't eat the nether regions of a pig. Then again, who knows what is in hot dogs... Erlack.

I lub you.

Irish said...

Glad you liked the Roman section better. I agree that it might be best to "pass" on their food choices when it comes to pork. G(gross)

Terms like "salary" and soldier were originated due to salt. We use these all the time but don't draw the connection to it. I thought that was pretty cool. Pretty neat that you enjoy learning about the Romans and Italy, being as we will be there next summer!!!!

Again, you take the sarcasm just a tad bit far with your salt & vinegar recipe. I mean come on. Do you really expect me to buy that? Keep your comments relevant to the book's material and less babbling.

Glad to see you like Olives. Its nice to hear you are trying to be serious for a change. (I think?) Hard to tell.

Garum, yeah pretty nasty stuff. I don't think I'd like is smeared over my bread. When we visit Pompee this summer, you will see the giant vats they used to let that stuff sit and ferment in. It was pretty nasty stuff.

Mr. Farrell