Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Fish and whatnot.

First off, I was incredibly excited to see that the Egyptians also had a salty sauce! How interesting. Perhaps it's just my concussion, but I found this chapter incredibly hard to follow. I am especially enjoying staring at a bright computer screen right now, so if this makes absolutely no sense, you know why. Anyway, the Egyptians liked salt almost as much as the Chinese! What a thriller. We all know about the Egyptian's freakish desire to preserve everything, and salt was wonderfully useful for this since it killed the bacteria in flesh. The Egyptians also were the first to preserve food on a large scale, so kudos to them.

Now I am thinking about salt licks for deer. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is because the book is indeed called salt. I'm also thinking about sardines because they are preserved little fishys. I would not eat them, but the Egyptians might because they put salted fish in their tombs. They also liked some good salted mullet, so why not sardines? I'm also very proud of the Egyptians for inventing ham, even though they said it carried leprosy and everyone hated pig farmers. I'd still be their friend because I really do enjoy ham.

The Egyptians were pretty crafty when they wanted some salt. They would evaporate it from the Nile Delta, get it from African trade, or get it from dried salt deposits. I'm utterly amazed by this. If I wanted some salt right now, I wouldn't even think to go to any of these places. I'd go to the store and buy myself some Morton's. Anyway, the whole chapter was about salty fish and birds, and the occasional salty dead person. I will most likely be rereading this chapter when my brain decides to heal.



Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Keeping with the amazing salty item photo trend, I have posted a delightful ham. Enjoy.


edit: My bad. I guess they didn't invent ham. I'm sorry my brain is failing at picking up information. Please forgive me all of my dear blog followers for filling your brains with nonsense.

3 comments:

Millie said...

I, at first, was too excited about the saltly sauces. Awe erica...I could have read to you and wrote your blog if you would have told me what to say :(

They did NOT invent ham...because they did NOT like the piggy's anymore since they are full of good diseases. If you were egyptian I bet you would not like the pig farmers because you like fish.

I dont blame you for being confused about ham...you are concussed but we'll keep that on the D.L.

Megan said...

Bahahahaha.

Yes. It is kind of strange the way the Egyptians kind of were obsessed with preserving dead people. And everything in the world so their salty dead friends could be happy in the afterlife.

How rude it was to be mean to the piggy farmers. I would befriend them. Even if they did smell funny. And sardines are gross. But if the Egpytians thought that olives were good, I'd bet they enjoy a good, canned, salty fish.

Irish said...

Perhaps you'd be better writing this at a later time? You could have let me know?

I wanted to wait and assign the book a few weeks after we'd already finished learning about the ancient societies such as Egypt, Greece & Rome. I figured this would help you "process" what was going on. Guess that didn't help you?

You do tend to ramble a bit now and then, ex. "Now I am thinking about salt licks for deer." keep your comments relevant and on task. This will reflect in your score otherwise.

As Millie so eloquently points out, Egypt and the Middle East nations did not enjoy eating pork, mainly due to paracites and worms. That tends to be why they prefered not to partake.

Your blog entries tend to be somewhat vague in places. You generalize quite a bit with statements such as: "Anyway, the whole chapter was about salty fish and birds, and the occasional salty dead person."

Mr. Farrell